Ken Fisher was born in San Francisco, California, the third and youngest son of Philip Fisher, a noted investor and author of Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits. He was raised in San Mateo, California and graduated from Humboldt State University in 1972 with a degree in economics. After graduating, Ken Fisher worked for his father's firm, Fisher & Co.
- In 1979, Ken Fisher started his own company, Fisher Investments, managing money primarily for institutional investors.
- In 1995, he established the Private Client Group to serve high net worth investors. Today, the Private Client Group serves over 26,000 individual investors in the US, Canada and UK. Fisher Investments also manages assets for more than 150 prominent institutions.
- In 2000, he established a subsidiary in the UK, Fisher Investments UK (formerly Fisher Wealth Management), to offer Fisher Investments' services to British investors.
- In 2003, Fisher started to collaborate with Thomas Grüner, a German money manager, and in 2007 they established the joint venture Grüner Fisher Investments to serve German investors.
- In 2009, Ken Fisher received the inaugural Tiburon CEO Summit award for Challenging Conventional Wisdom.
- In 2010, he was recognized by Investment Advisor as one of the 30 most influential individuals in the investment industry over the last 30 years.
- In 2010, John Wiley & Sons published a book, Making of a Market Guru, commemorating Ken Fisher's 25 years as a Forbes columnist.